I am an enthusiast level photographer and am trying to decide between Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II (with the Z 24-70 f/4 S kit lens).
My primary interests are landscape, nature, and astro, then portrait and video to lesser amount.
Looking for some guidance to help me select the most appropriate Z camera and Z lenses for my interests and level.
After much research, I want to upgrade to a Nikon Mirrorless Z system from my 2015 Nikon D5500 DX camera with 3 Nikon DX lenses (18-140 mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens, 35 mm 1.8, 55-300 mm 4.5-5.6).
I also have three older F-mount lenses I used with a mid-1970s Nikon FT2 film camera – Nikkor-Q Auto 3.5 135 mm, Vivitar 2.5 28mm auto wide angle, Bushnell Automatic 6.3 400 mm tele.
1. Which of the above six lenses are worth keeping - will any of them work well with the Z6 II or Z7 II when using the FTZ Adapter ?
2. Would my existing Nikon DX 55-300 mm lens (when cropped with FTZ adapter in Z6 II / Z7 II wouldn’t this yield equivalent focal lengths of 82 – 450 mm ?) be a useful companion zoom to the Z 24-70 f/4 S zoom, while awaiting for Nikon to release (hopefully) a native Z 70-200 f/4 S lens ?
3. Which native Z wide angle zoom (14-30mm f/4 S ?) or Z wide angle prime (20mm f/1.8 S ?) would be recommended for me to add as my wide angle lens for landscapes/nature primarily.
4. Should I pre-order Z6II / Z7 II now or wait until trustworthy sites like Photography Life have received and field tested the Z6/Z7 II models – and given them a thumbs up ?
5. Will the 45MP resolution of the Z7 II make my images MUCH more clear/sharp/better dynamic range/more detail (than the Z6 II), and much better for prints up to 20×13, especially if I do some cropping in post processing ?
6. Would the Z6 II suffice for 20X13 inch print size or would I need to get the Z7 II ?
7. Suggest the Z6 II or Z7 II for me ?
My current thinking is : Invest in the Nikon Z system.
The Z lenses (S line) should be able to resolve detail in high resolution sensors far beyond 24 MP+ – so perhaps I can start with Z6 II at 24 MP and a trinity of Z f/4 S line lenses.
Then if I find I need/want to have a higher sensor resolution (after much effort and time/experimentation with Z6 II), I could sell Z6 II body and migrate to higher resolution model (Z7/Z8/Z9 ?) at a later date while still having the Z S line lenses that can handle resolving at those higher resolutions (45+ MP).
Is this a viable purchasing strategy for my level and interests and printing wants ?
Would appreciate your thoughts on which of these Z6 II / Z7 II cameras and which native Z lenses are best for my level and interests ?
And is it worth keeping any of my existing 6 lenses that might prove useful with the Z FTZ adapter. ?
Thanks for any information you can provide